Pages

July 12, 2012

Big Long Startrails

I know that I have kinda stopped writing much on this blog, and that makes me sad, but I am just really busy and tired when I get home from work. I just thought I would post this in case anyone is still looking at this blog at all. I have a few more that I will post over the next few days as well

This one is a startrail shot that I have been meaning to take for a long time. This exposure is 1590 seconds total, but is actually a composite of 53 images taken all in a row.

There are all sorts of neat things in this picture I think. First off, the startrails. As you can see, the middle of the picture has straight trails, and towards the top and bottom there are curved trails.

This is because the celestial equator runs through the middle of the photo. The stars on the bottom are curving to go around the southern celestial pole, and the ones at the top will go around Polaris at the northern celestial pole.

There are also some cool man-made things in the photo. The most obvious are the airplanes going in and out of Seattle in the bottom left corner. There is also a trail from a satellite which comes right down the middle of the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment